Saturday 2 June 2012

Kitchen Table

Welcome to my blog!  I've been talking about starting a blog for a very, very long time.  It's a four-day weekend so I reckon the time has come to commit words to screen.  I feel OK about it, because there's an edit button.

I'm sitting in one of my favourite places, at the kitchen table.  Sarah and I have decided that we are getting into a rut with the meals we cook.  So, we are flicking through Rick Stein's Spain, Nigella's Feast, and some of my many low-GI, wheat-free, lentil-centric cook books, for new ideas.  By the way, the hippy-style cook books are there more to make me feel better than to be used day to day!

So far we have decided to eat more prawns, and that we want to make lots of recipes.  But still no shortlist.  To make the choice easier, we are automatically discounting all recipes that have no accompanying photo.  I'll let you know how we get on!

Anyway, I'm not just here to tell you about our lazy Saturday morning.  Gosh, I'm not doing very well at not making this blog post self-indulgent.  That's not meant to be the point at all.

I suppose I'll only know myself once I get started what I decide to talk about.  I predict food will feature significantly.  Hopefully travel will too.  And if all goes to plan, as a born-again runner (used to run, took it up again in February this year and have kept it up because I was obedient and followed the plan unlike all previous attempts the past 4 years), I hope to be brave enough at some point to say out loud what distance/event I am aiming for.  If you think it's a marathon, please lower your expectations ... by about 50%.

And I expect a lot of my rants and raves will be about the 'state of the world'.  I often rant about apostrophe use and the like, but you probably wouldn't be reading this now if the last paragraph had been about apostrophes.  So I'll try to refrain.

I'm doing a course at the moment called 'Christian Ministry' with the Church of Ireland Theological Institute in Dublin and St John's Nottingham.  That's what really made me want to start a blog, actually.  It's a brilliant course, and makes me think about a lot of things.

So if you would like to talk about any of them with me, thank you for stopping by, and please feel free to keep me accountable about the running, to ask me to tone down the rants, and to have a chat about the big issues and small ones too.

OK, got to get back to my cook books.  Chat soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment